The Altenheim (German for “Elder’s Home”), is a senior residence on a six-acre campus in Oakland’s Dimond district. The community was founded in the 1890s by immigrants from German-speaking countries, and the structures mostly date from the 1910s. The Altenheim historic rehabilitation project restored the beautiful campus and 3-acre gardens, part of the cultural legacy of the home and neighborhood, while also creating modern, affordable apartments for low-income seniors. The property is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was chosen to receive the 2007 Partners in Preservation Award from the Oakland Heritage Alliance.
Phase 1 of the project renovated existing structures and combined rooms to create 93 new apartments with full kitchens and baths. The renovation also restored over 10,000 square feet of common areas including a two-story rotunda with a lobby, music lounge, library and offices; a large dining hall with half-timbered, painted beams; a smaller community room known as Prior Hall, which opens directly onto one of the gardens; and two solaria which residents use as quiet lounges and gathering areas.
The second phase of this development provided an additional 81 senior apartments, including 28 homes reserved for homeless/at-risk of homelessness seniors with disabilities.
You can obtain an application for housing by calling the property directly at (510) 531-6389. The manager can answer questions regarding apartment availability, rent, income requirements or restrictions, and how to obtain an application for housing. The list of properties that are accepting applications is updated on a monthly basis on our website. Learn more about our Application Process.
Number of Units
Altenheim 1 - 1909, Althenheim II - 2010
Swinerton Inc. and Oliver & Co.
City of Oakland RDA, City of Oakland HOME Loan, US Bank, Multifamily Housing Program (MHP), Low Income Housing Tax Credit & Historic Tax Credit Equity, Affordable Housing Program by Silicon Valley Bank
Eden Housing Management, Inc.
National Register of Historic Places, 2007 Partners in Preservation Award from the Oakland Heritage Alliance