Light Tree Apartments is a 94-apartment family community in East Palo Alto, originally constructed in 1966. With vacant land becoming increasingly rare in densely populated cities throughout the Peninsula, the redevelopment of Light Tree Apartments is a pioneering project that was conceived in a conscious effort to develop new ways of adding low-income housing units to Eden’s existing affordable housing portfolio. Upon completion, the renovated Light Tree Apartments will nearly double the number of affordable homes that exist on the site today, providing 185 affordable homes to low-income families, people with disabilities, formerly homeless individuals, and former foster youth.
The apartments are on a 3.39 acre site with shared outdoor space, a basketball half‐court, play structure, community garden, laundry rooms, and podium and uncovered surface parking. The scope of work includes:
• New HVAC, mechanical, and electrical systems
• All electric utility service, existing gas service will be discontinued
• New solar photovoltaics system
• New drought‐tolerant landscaping and install water efficient irrigation
• New elevators for existing three-story buildings
• EV charging stations
Number of Units
- Central heat and air conditioning
- Fully adaptable for people with disabilities
- Refrigerator and Range
EPA Can Do
Okamoto Saijo Architecture
Johnstone Moyer, Inc.
US Bank and Chase Bank
Eden Housing Management, Inc.