A “lack of cars” was a key element in Estabrook Place finding its way to reality. A former car lot sat vacant until it was transformed into homes for seniors, only after the city agreed to special allowances for a limited number of parking spaces. This exception helped produce a flourishing community. As it turns out, the residents don’t even use all of the limited stalls that were provided to them for parking.
Estabrook Place community spaces include a large gathering room that opens onto a courtyard, raised planter gardens on the landscaped roof terrace, a computer room/library, and exercise room. Laundry facilities, a recycling center and elevators are also provided. Shoppers appreciate several conveniently located and walkable shopping centers. Five parks are located within 4.6 miles including the Oakland Zoo.
Older adults living at Estabrook Place are able to participate in Eden Housing’s resident services program — designed to help residents age in place and live independently in a healthy and productive way.
Number of Units
• Air Conditioning • Broadband Internet Access • Disability Access • Heating • Smoke Free Community
• GreenPoint Rated score of 184 points
• Solar hot water system
• Photovoltaic panels
• Hydronic space heating
• Energy Star appliances
• Water‐conserving dual flush toilets
• Low‐flow fixtures
• Native and drought‐tolerant landscaping
• High‐efficiency irrigation with rainwater retention
• U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development• Silicon Valley Bank
Eden Housing Management, Inc.
2011 Merit Award- HKIT Architects Category 55+ Housing- Builder Magazine