Eden Housing Celebrates 55Years of Creating High-Quality Sustainable Housing Throughout California
October 23, 2023
– Nonprofit has developed, acquired or preserved nearly 12,000 homes and served 22,000 residents from all cultures and backgrounds since its inception –
What: Eden Housing is proudly celebrating 55 years of creating and overseeing high-quality affordable housing communities that advance equity and opportunity for all; and acknowledging its many partners who helped make its projects a reality.
The organization was founded in 1968 by a small but tenacious group of community activists in Hayward, California, who were concerned about the lack of accessible, affordable housing in Alameda County. They started by rehabilitating six older homes in Oakland to accommodate six low-income families and soon after developed a much larger project for seniors in Hayward.
Since its humble beginnings, Eden, in partnership with local, regional, state and federal partners, has developed or acquired nearly 12,000 homes in communities throughout California with over 100,000 residents from all cultures and backgrounds having come home to an Eden community.
When: Friday, October 27, at 11:00 a.m.
Where: Hayward City Hall (777 B St, Hayward, CA 94541)
Photo and Video Opportunities: Special guests and speakers include:
- Eric Swalwell, Congressman
- Gustavo Velasquez, Director of the California Department of Housing & Community Development
- Aisha Wahab, California State Senator
- Liz Ortega, California State Assemblymember
- Mark Salinas, Mayor of the City of Hayward
- Elisa Marquez, Alameda County Board of Supervisors
- Lisa Gutierrez, Senior Vice President, Director of Business Development/Affordable Housing Investing and Lending, U.S. Bank
- Cedric Bobo, CEO and Co-Founder of Project Destined
- Anina Tweed, Social Impact Specialist, Wells Fargo
- Lisa Gauthier, Mayor of the City of East Palo Alto
- John Marchand, Mayor of the City of Livermore
- Bob Woerner, former Mayor of the City of Livermore
- Eden Housing leadership team
Eden Housing’s Impact:
Eden Housing has significantly increased housing for low- to very-low-income Californians:
- 11,937 affordable homes developed, acquired and preserved to date
- 4,475 homes currently in the pipeline
- 298 properties owned or managed
- 22,000 residents from all cultures and backgrounds with a place to call home
- $1 million in scholarships provided to more than 620 California residents
- 9,500 residents participating in Eden Housing services, including youth and economic empowerment programs
Presenting sponsors: US Bank and Wells Fargo
ABOUT EDEN HOUSING
Eden Housing is a non-profit organization with 55 years of experience providing safe and affordable housing that helps families stay secure, allows communities to thrive, and solves many of the most pressing housing challenges facing California cities. Since its inception, the Bay Area-based organization has developed more than 10,000 affordable homes and is a leader in making its residential communities environmentally sustainable and efficient through integrating energy conservation. Eden is also known as a champion of housing policy advocacy at the local, state, and national level, supporting practices that both create and preserve affordable housing for diverse communities. Learn more at www.edenhousing.org.